Korean Pepper + Buttermilk Soaked Fried Chicken aka Blasian Chicken
Blasian Chicken is a new recipe of mine. Fried chicken was one of the first meat dishes my mom taught me how to make but it's not something I frequently prepare...gotta check my waist line, you know? Fried chicken is such a savory treat for me and I hope you feel the same! For this recipe, I really wanted to fuse my Korean side with my Black side. This recipe is so crunchy and very flavorful and although I use spice, it is pretty mild.
- 4-5 pieces of chicken (I used all drumsticks, but feel free to use any other parts of the bird)
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1/2 cup of crushed korean red pepper
- 1 tbsp of fish sauce
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of onion powder
- 2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of Paprika
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1 cup of corn starch
- Frying Oil
What You will Need: Fry Pan, Tongs, Mixing Bowls, Paper Towel and Plate
Prep Time: 30mins-1hr (to account for soaking time for chicken)
Let's. Do. This
- Thoroughly clean chicken in sink. ( I use water and vinegar)
- In a mixing Bowl, combine the crushed red peppers, 1 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and 2 tsp of garlic powder. The mixture will club and almost turn into a paste.
- Pour buttermilk into the mixture and you should see a milky light pinkish reddish mix. Soak the cleaned chicken in the mix for 30 mins to a hour. Depending on size of chicken pieces and bowl, you may need to turn the chicken half way through to ensure it's soaked evenly.
- Pour cornstarch into the empty plate and add all of the remaining dry ingredients (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder) and mix it up with a fork. SECRET WEAPON Corn Starch gives such a great crunch really holds it's seasoning!
- Take the chicken out of the buttermilk soak one at a time and roll it around in the cornstarch mixture.
- Ready to fry? In a frying pan, fill the bottom to about 1/2 an inch deep. Wait about 4-6 mins for it to get hot, it should be on medium heat.
- When the oil is ready, use the tongs to drop the chicken into the frying pan. Do not move the chicken until it starts to turn golden brown. Once that happens, use the tongs to flip for even cooking. Depending on your stove settings, it should take about 10-12 mins per side, just ensure that the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked and golden brown, remove from heat and drain over paper towel.