The first time I ever had a Grapefruit Brûlée was in New Orleans. I had ordered it for breakfast after a long night on Frenchman St. and from the first bite that I took, I was completely mesmerized by the flavor. The sweet citrus juices mixed with caramelized sugar was an unexpected delight that I had to recreate! This cocktail is inspired by that delectable treat and adds a twist of Hennessy VSOP. One of my girl friends described this as a sexy night cap that will have you feeling just right. So whether you are planning date night or looking for dessert in the form of liquid, this cocktail won't disappoint.
What you will need: shaker, ice, garnish sticks, muddler and strainer
- 1 Whole Grapefruit (cut in half)
- 2 TBSP Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 4 oz of Hennessy VSOP
- 2 TBSP of Caramel Sauce
- 1 Can of Grapefruit La Croix (you won't use the whole thing)
- Luxardo cherries (for garnish)
shake. it. up.
- Set oven to broiler setting.
- Cut the grapefruit in half. Take the first half of the grapefruit and cut into slices. Take two of the slices and sprinkle them each with the sugar. Place in the broiler long enough to brûlée them (about 3mins), you will know they are ready when the sugar browns and begins to form a caramelized crust on the grapefruit. Remove from the heat and let them cool, these will be used as your garnishes.
- Place remaining grapefruit slices into the shaker and muddle.
- In a rocks glass, line the inside with caramel sauce (Think Starbucks Ice Macchiato Style ;).
- Add ice, Hennessy VSOP and Caramel Sauce into the shaker and shake. Using a strainer, pour liquid into the caramel lined glass.
- Take the second half of the grapefruit and squeeze the juice out and into the shaker, give it a few more shakes and then pour over the liquid in the glass.
- Top with a splash of the Grapefruit LaCroix.
- Place the brûlée grapefruit slice and Luxardo cherry onto a garnish stick and garnish.
Obviously...feel free adjust any of the ingredients to fit your taste buds and tolerance levels :).