Oven Baked Kalbi (Korean Beef Short Ribs)
We all know how popular Korean BBQ is. It's probably one of the most social dining experiences you can ever experience. Think about it, you aren't going to a Korean BBQ spot and grubbing on your own, not normally but if you are i'm totally not judging! Korean BBQ for me has always been at the center of social occasions with friends and families. Whether it was at home in our backyard, or at a picnic or pot luck...it's a nostalgic dish for me. All my childhood memories come flooding back when I smell the smoke and char of the meat. When I went out into the real world, I found myself making this dish for the same reasons but living in apartments, it's hard to get ahold of a grill so I modified the recipe to be oven friendly.
- 1 pack of Sliced Beef Short Ribs (LA Kalbi)
- 1 Tsp Ginger
- 3 Tsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Sugar (Brown)
- 5 Cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 3-4 Green Onions Chopped
- 1/4 White Onion Sliced
- 1/2 Asian Pear (or Apple) Grated
- 1 Cup of Soy Sauce
- Optional: Sliced Green Onions for Garnish
- Optional: Sesame Seeds for Garnish
What you will Need: Baking dish, Mixing Bowl, Freezer Bag, plastic gloves (I use them to handle the meat)
Prep Time: 20 mins/Bake Time: 35-45 mins (Keep in mind you will need to marinate the meat for a minimum of 1 hour, I typically try to overnight it so that I maximize the flavor impact and tenderize the meat).
Let's. Do. This.
- Let's start with cleaning the meat. This particular cut of meat will have some small bits of loose bone and loose fat that you can easily clean off when washing the meat. When you are done cleaning the meat, pat it dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Next, we are going to prepare the the marinade. Start by combining the ginger, fish sauce, sugar, chopped garlic, onions, grated pear and soy sauce into the mixing bowl.
- Add the meat into the marinade and coat evenly.
- Pour the meat and the marinade into a ziplock bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Take the meat out from the fridge about an hour before you plan to place into the oven, this will help it come down to room temp.
- Preheat the oven to 385 degrees.
- Place the meat and the remaining marinade into a baking dish and into the oven for 35-45 mins. Halfway through you can flip the meat for even cooking.
- Remove from oven, place on dish and garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.